That time of year has come again when leaves fall from the trees and decorate the ground with their red and yellow hues. As the seasons change, so do our meal preferences, and as the temperature begins to drop, we often find ourselves looking for comfort food, seasonal ingredients and fall dinner ideas. Here at Olivieri®, we’re happy to share with you some of the best ways to adapt your cooking for that seasonal change with these flavoursome meals consisting of irresistible fall foods.
Pumpkin and Squash Recipes
Pumpkin and squash bring a rich and earthy sweetness to dishes and are in season as fall begins. Apart from adding depth to pies, soups and roasted meals, here’s what they can bring to Olivieri®’s Italian-inspired recipes:
- By adding cubed butternut squash, roasted or sautéed, or sweet potatoes to this Cheese Gnocchi with Bacon and Brussels Sprouts, you’ll experience the mouth watering flavours of fall combined with an already tantalizing gnocchi dish.
- Roasted acorn squash and sweet potatoes pair deliciously well with the ingredients of this Baked Salmon and Skillet Gnocchi dish. This elegant platter makes a satisfying meal for two to enjoy a quiet night indoors.
- For a creamy and seasonal twist, add some pumpkin puree into the sauce of this Skillet Gnocchi Meatball Lasagna Extravaganza. This is a hearty and flavourful dish, with familiar tastes and plenty of meat, that the family can enjoy together around the table.
- When cooking up this Skillet Gnocchi With Bacon and Sun-Dried Tomatoes, be sure to add some roasted butternut squash cubes into the pan and let those fall flavours work their way into your latest autumn recipe.
Apple and Cranberry Recipes
The crispy and juicy sweetness that apples can bring to meals as well as the tangy flavour and attractive colour of cranberry make the two of them fantastically fruity fall ingredients for the following recipes:
- If there are mac and cheese lovers in the family, this one’s for them. In this Skillet Mac and Cheese Bacon Gnocchi with Broccoli, you can replace the broccoli with roasted brussels or cauliflower and then add some diced apples and dried cranberry for a deliciously sweet kick.
- Dried cranberry also helps to sweeten up this Skillet Gnocchi Vegan Buddha Bowl, a dish that’s already rich in fresh, nutritious and vibrant ingredients that will have you licking your lips at first sight.
Walnut and Pecan Recipes
For a warm and nutty crunch, there aren’t many things as tasty and comforting as walnut and pecan in fall dishes. Let’s look at how you can add them to the following gnocchi recipes for some extra texture and richness:
- While this Skillet Gnocchi Salad With Walnuts has its fair share of walnuts, you can boost those fall flavours even further by adding in some roasted sweet potato and dried cranberries. That’s one tasty way to help you forget about the end of summer!
- Or how about savouring the fall delights of toasted pecans alongside sautéed apples by adding them to this Lemon Maple Skillet Gnocchi Salad? This is another vegetarian recipe that tastes just as great as it looks.
Sage and Thyme Recipes
SImply put, sage and thyme are like an aromatic snapshot of the fall landscape! While sage brings a slightly peppery, robust and earthy taste to meals, thyme is a little more subtle and woodsy. Here’s how they can add some fall-inspired warmth to your next meal:
- Sage and thyme will already bring some fresh and herbaceous flavours to this Skillet Gnocchi Carbonara for all to enjoy, but why stop there when you can up the ante by adding in some roasted delicata squash or putting some pumpkin puree in the sauce?
- If you’ve never tried adding a decorative and herbaceous twist to a Canadian classic, now’s the time to do so by bringing sage and thyme to this Skillet Gnocchi Poutine. Just also be sure Include caramelized onions and sautéed wild mushrooms.
- The same fall ingredients can also be applied to this new and fun twist on that old classic in this Gnocchi Stix Poutine. This is one for the kids as little ones love these soft and pillowy sticks of gnocchi that are an ideal finger food for dipping and sharing.
For more recipe ideas, meal inspiration and the latest kitchen tips and tricks, come and visit our kitchen. At Olivieri®, we’re committed to helping you make mealtime memorable for everyone.